Newburyport is known for its quaint downtown shopping area, accessed by foot, and including one-of-a-kind boutiques and antique shops, as well as modern toy and book stores, all dotting the road along Market Square, State Street and Inn Street. In addition, just a short walk from downtown in a converted mill building on Liberty Street is The Tannery Marketplace, which has a host of shops, businesses and restaurants for visitors to enjoy.
Impressive Federal-style homes line High Street in town, linking the Atkinson Common with the Bartlett Mall, where the historic Charles-Bullfinch-designed Essex County Superior Courthouse, circa 1805, can be found.
Multiple historically-preserved churches can be found along the streets of Newburyport as well. Other areas of interest include:
- Clipper City Rail Trail
- Cushing House Museum & Garden
- Joppa Flats Education Center & Wildlife Sanctuary at Plum Island
- Newburyport Maritime Museum
- Parker River National Wildlife Refuge
- The Firehouse Center for the Performing Arts